Home Safety Checklist
The main objective of the Corsicana Fire Department Home Safety Checklist is to ensure a safe environment for the citizens of Corsicana. Correct any problems now to prevent a tragedy.
- Store matches and lighters out of the reach of children
- Do not use extension cords as a permanent power supply
- Remove plugs from overloaded outlets
- Do not place extension cords under rugs or carpet
- Allow for at least one foot of air space around electronic equipment to avoid overheating
- Keep fireplaces screened and cleaned regularly
- Do not store snacks or other items that are tempting to children above the range; a child reaching for something above the range could get burned
- Keep heating equipment at least three feet away from any combustible material
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always run water over a match before discarding it in the trash
- Never use gasoline to start a fire
- Working smoke detectors should be located on each level of a residence, one outside of every sleeping area. The batteries in smoke detectors should be replaced twice a year, once in the spring when we set our clocks forward and once in the fall when we set our clocks back. Smoke detectors should be checked once a month.
- There should be at least one ABC or ABCD fire extinguisher located in the kitchen in an easily accessible location
- Practice a fire drill every six months